The main proposed amendments are:
- Removing the 26-week qualifying period, thereby making it a day one right;
- Introduce a requirement for employers to consult with the employee before rejecting their flexible working request;
- Allow an employee to make two statutory requests in a 12-month period (rather than the current one);
- Reduce the time limit for an employer to make a decision from three months to two months;
- Remove the requirement that the employee must explain the effect the change would have on the employer, and how it might be alleviated, as required currently in the statutory request.